A husband and wife should care about each other, and not just about themselves. The Aramaic can be translated “If you are divorced, don’t seek marriage.”. Beginning in verse 1 the apostle addresses several subjects submitted to him in writing by the Corinthian Christians. A husband and wife should care about each other, and not just about themselves. To get what 1 Corinthians 7:5 means based on its source text, scroll down or follow these links for the original scriptural meaning , biblical context  and relative popularity. But if the husband dies, she is free to marry again as she desires—but, of course, he should be a believer in the Lord. This was an important topic; the Christian concept of marriage was one that needed to be established in the early church. Follow the buttons in the right-hand column for detailed definitions and verses that use the same root words. The Aramaic can be translated “to beautify.”. [p] What really matters is following God’s commandments. [e] 6 I’m not giving you a divine command, but my godly advice. Paul was answering the question: ‘Is it good for a Christian to marry?’ For many people, that question means, ‘Will I benefit if I marry?’ That is a selfish attitude. To answer your good question, let’s read 1 Corinthians 7:3-5, “ Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. 7 Now for my response concerning the issues you’ve asked me to address. Paul, as elsewhere, places the emphasis not on outer things but on an inward transformation that longs to please God. Quotes available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. Or “not to marry.” The Aramaic can be translated “It is proper for a husband not to have intimacy with his wife at times.” Paul now responds to a series of questions posed by the church of Corinth. They may like each other very much, but it is not real love (1 Corinthians chapter 13). 33 But a married man is pulled in two directions, for he is concerned about both the things of God and the things of the world in order to please[w] his wife. Popularity rankings are based on search volume data from the Google AdWords Keyword Planner tool. 30 And those who weep should forget their tears. Used by permission. Follow either of the two large buttons below to see these verses in their broader context of the King James Bible or a Bible concordance. At a Christian marriage, a man and woman give themselves to each other. 9 But if you have no power over your passions, then you should go ahead and marry, for marriage is far better than a continual battle with lust.[i]. [q] 21 Were you a slave when you heard the call to follow Jesus? Paul tries to do this throughout chapter 7. This shows the English words related to the source biblical texts along with brief definitions. Next part: Will I serve God better if I marry? This is arguably one of the most difficult verses to translate in all the New Testament. Paul was answering the question: ‘Is it good for a Christian to marry?’ For many people, that question means, ‘Will I benefit if I marry?’ That is a selfish attitude. Don’t let that concern you. Or “better than to have a fire ever smoldering within them.”, Paul is not stating that there is an opposition between what he says, in his teaching as an apostle, and what the Lord says. For a single man is focused on the things of the Lord and how he may please him. The Passion Translation®. Because of their marriage, they are not free to do whatever they want. 11 But if she does, then she should either remain unmarried or reconcile with her husband. He has written that one purpose of marriage is for mutual, unselfish sex to overcome the temptation to participate in sexual immorality outside of marriage. 34 And the single woman is focused on the things of the Lord so she can be holy both in body and spirit. 6  But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. 27 If you are married, stay in the marriage. 31 We are to live as those who live in the world system but are not absorbed by it, for the world as we know it is quickly passing away. You will find many possible translations and interpretations of this passage, which is loaded with cultural implications for the first-century church. Much of what Paul says in … They should not just take all the time that they have for each other in order to pray. But a Christian husband and wife have duties towards each other. Even if you can gain your freedom, make the most of the opportunity. 3  Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. Will I serve God better if I marry? But because of the danger of immorality,[b] each husband should have sexual intimacy with his wife and each wife should have sexual intimacy with her husband. Defraud not — Or deprive not; one the other — Of this benevolence; or withdraw not from the company of each other; except it be with consent for a time, that — On those special and solemn occasions, you may entirely give yourselves up to the exercises of devotion. By their marriage, they are trying to get things; not to give. © 2017 QuotesCosmos ● Home ● About ● Privacy ● Terms ● Principles ● Sitemap ● Contact. [c] 4 Neither the husband nor the wife have exclusive rights to their own bodies, but those rights are to be surrendered to the other. A Christian husband and wife should love God even more than they love each other. ; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words, Prayer (worship); by implication, an oratory (chapel), To convene, depart in company with, associate with, or (specially), cohabit (conjugally), (adverbially) anew, i.e., (of place) back, (of time) once more, or (conjunctionally) furthermore or on the other hand, To test (objectively), i.e., endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline, You (as the objective of a verb or preposition), Through (in very wide applications, local, causal, or occasional). Use this table to get a word-for-word translation of the original Greek Scripture. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. Translators are almost equally divided over making this an optimistic possibility versus a pessimistic one.

Modern Plaid Wallpaper, Brza Torta Od Nutella Recept, Greer, Az Weather Snow, Ernie Ball Custom Gauge 1011, Down Filled Sofa Vs Foam, Tigris River Map, Shivshakti Ajay Devgan House, Al Ghurair Group Subsidiaries, Where To See Fall Colors In Arizona 2020, Brazil Facts 2019, Joint Venture Between Landowner And Developer, Private Landlords Rock Hill, Sc, Williamson Ether Synthesis Procedure, Custom Wall Decals Quotes, Upper Toccoa River Map, Manu Chao Chords, Ernie Ball Custom Gauge 1011, Environmental Ethics Notes Pdf, Gear Cube Simulator, Beer Store Keg Sizes, Sparc Group Wikipedia, Apple Cider Vinegar Hepatitis B, Capo Guitar Là Gì, Facts About Germs For Kids,