"Eggplant" is the common name in North America, Australia and New Zealand, but British English uses the French word, "aubergine." We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. The video above, from character designer Bobby Chiu, runs through some pencil drawing techniques in action. We use user sessions to make a directory under temp folder in server. Over the left end of the oval shape draw a semicircle. Stretched fabric creates long lines, usually with a point of support. Healy finds this kind of paper provides an easier surface for blending coloured pencils, although she warns that it's also easy to run the colour off the surface. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. "When covering large areas, I shade with my pencil perpendicular to the line I'm drawing to get wide, soft lines," he adds. Things like how fast you draw a line and the weight you put into a stroke will change the look of the line. These pencil drawing techniques from top artists will help you take your drawing skills to the next level, whether you're using graphite pencil or coloured pencils. Dog Nature Forest. For this sketch, von Reuden is trying to capture the golden folds of material found in the original image. Start by drawing a curved oval shape. Once the pencil drawing process is completed, download button is enabled in the tool to download your pencil sketched image. Traditional graphite pencils tend to round out quickly, and so need regular sharpening to produce a consistent-sized tip. "Some drawings require a fine, sharp point for pinning down a crisp line, others a broad, flat side to the pencil lead for blocking in tone. Compressed fabrics bunch into each other, creating scrunched-looking areas.". "It’s a good idea to make sure that your artwork has unifying colours," says Healy. This technique is also great for backgrounds and creating texture. The softer your pencil, the more sharpening you'll need to do. It is a full version, no hidden payments, no signup required, no demo versions and no other limitations. After many layers it produces a very soft and delicate look.". Once she has reached a stage she's happy with, she moves on to the final step: adding an outline. 17 20 1. The second method involves working in patches of shading, to help define shape. This is a valuable pencil drawing technique for beginners: put a piece of paper under my hand to avoid smudging your drawing while you're working. Draw a big slanting curvy line. Download Free. How you blend your work can have a big impact on the final result. "Both mediums have unique qualities and textures. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. She then builds up colour using subtle layers. I repeat this process as often as I need. Without looking down at the paper, trace your eye around your subject, following its edges and contours, and as you do so, let your pencil follow the same journey on the paper," explains Spicer. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/8f\/Draw-an-oval-Step-1-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Draw-an-oval-Step-1-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/8f\/Draw-an-oval-Step-1-2.jpg\/aid1510455-v4-597px-Draw-an-oval-Step-1-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":431,"bigWidth":"598","bigHeight":"560","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/ff\/Draw-a-semicircle-Step-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Draw-a-semicircle-Step-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/ff\/Draw-a-semicircle-Step-2.jpg\/aid1510455-v4-589px-Draw-a-semicircle-Step-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":437,"bigWidth":"590","bigHeight":"560","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/a\/ae\/Draw-a-tubular-shape-Step-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Draw-a-tubular-shape-Step-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/a\/ae\/Draw-a-tubular-shape-Step-3.jpg\/aid1510455-v4-601px-Draw-a-tubular-shape-Step-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":429,"bigWidth":"601","bigHeight":"560","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/9e\/Outline-shape-Step-4-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Outline-shape-Step-4-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/9e\/Outline-shape-Step-4-2.jpg\/aid1510455-v4-576px-Outline-shape-Step-4-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":446,"bigWidth":"577","bigHeight":"560","licensing":"