Coconut rice is an Asian-style side dish. Try a ginger chicken main dish with it! This is one of my favorite rice recipes. 302 calories; protein 4.5g 9% DV; carbohydrates 40.9g 13% DV; fat 13.9g 21% DV; cholesterol 0mg; sodium 10mg. Please read my disclosure policy. This rice was so simple and tasty. It’s important to not check the rice as it simmers or the cooking environment will lose steam and the enclosed temperature will become inconsistent. Bring to a boil, stirring a few times to combine. It was super easy to make the cooking time was right on. Coconut rice is a wonderfully fragrant addition to any Asian-style meal, and it’s easy to make too! The rice was slightly sweet and just a little sticky with a mild coconut flavor that won't overpower your main dish (but enough to know you're eating coconut rice). Adding water and cooking a little longer helped to get it to the desired firmness. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Their taste and texture compliment the coconut milk flavor perfectly. This post may contain affiliate links. For unused rice or for meal prepping, let it cool completely to room temperature before storing it. In a medium-sized nonstick pan, toast shredded coconut flakes over medium-low heat until lightly golden-brown on both sides. Once I bought my Zojirushi rice cooker, we have rice all the time and never fret with stove-top methods. My passion is creating recipes and sharing the science behind cooking to help you gain confidence in the kitchen. Served mine with mango and cilantro and Swai with coconut sauce from this site. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. As for alternatives, you can use long or extra-long grain Basmati rice. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Otherwise, long grain brown rice can also be used, but because of their tough bran shell, increase the amount of water to 3 cups and cook for about 35 to 45 minutes or until tender. I use canned unsweetened coconut milk as the dish isn’t supposed to be sweet like a dessert. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Transfer to a plastic bag or airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or 1 month in the freezer. Quick and simple recipe, I sometimes substitute coconut cream instead of milk which gives added sweetness or add ginger and garlic, tastes so good! Hi There- Yes, you can use jasmine rice instead. Simply toast them over medium heat in a nonstick pan while making sure to keep a close eye on the color change. To achieve light and fluffy rice that has a slight chew, use a ratio of 1-part jasmine rice to 1.5-parts liquid which in this case will be a mixture of water and coconut milk. Light coconut milk can be substituted for a reduced-fat option. If you do want to go that route, you can use a sweetened product, otherwise add 1 teaspoon of sugar, honey or maple syrup to the pot when simmering. I'll make it again for sure! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. I enjoy making family friendly recipes while sharing cooking tips and knowledge of food science. The coconut flavour is not too overpowering as in those recipes that call for shredded coconut. In a medium saucepan add rice, water, coconut milk, and salt. Stir frequently to ensure even cooking. Stir coconut milk, water, sugar, and salt together in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. This quickness will allow you plenty of time to focus on what you’ll be serving alongside these grains. Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again. This reduces the amount of surface starches so that the rice isn’t too sticky after cooking. This ensures that the grains become tender, but not mushy. Just simmer jasmine rice in coconut milk until light and fluffy then top with toasted coconut flakes. So good! To reheat, transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and cook on high power in 30-second intervals until heated through. This is a very good rice to serve with spicy foods. Turn off the heat and let the rice sit, undisturbed for 10 minutes to complete the absorption process. Cover and simmer, reducing heat to low. You saved Coconut Jasmine Rice to your. Turned out exactly as I hoped. Get my essential cooking techniques that I learned in culinary school. For sweeter rice add 1 teaspoon of sugar, honey, or maple syrup. Noce coconut flavour! If you have an electric rice cooker, you can use this recipe in that vessel. I added juice from one lime and cut up some fresh cilantro and added both in for the last few minutes that it was on the stove. Hi, I'm Jessica Gavin, a certified culinary scientist and author. Filed under: 5-Ingredient Batch Cooking Dairy Free Gluten Free Grain Indian Rice Rice Sides Side Dish Stovetop Thai Vegan Vegetarian. The method for this recipe uses the standard way of cooking white rice on the stovetop. Interesting…nice side dish for vegetarian Indian dishes I make. I used Silk coconut milk instead of the can. Tasted great though! I rinsed my rice, to eliminate some of the starch, before cooking. We were disappointed with the lack of flavor. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Grains like rice are a staple ingredient in various Asian cuisines, but they’re often bland and boring. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Jasmine rice is a long-grain rice that originates from Thailand, and it’s the best type of rice for this dish. Shake pan constantly to prevent coconut shreds from burning. Okay to sub this with Jasmine? I agree about the flavor-- balanced and not overpowering. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. I'd love to see how it turns out! You’ll have a perfectly cooked rice ready to go in under 30 minutes from start to finish. Turn off the heat and let the rice stand for 10 minutes. This preparation step helps to remove excess starches on the outside of the grains which can cause the rice to overly stick together when cooked. Thanks for sharing! Cook rice until all of the water is absorbed and grains are tender, about 15 to 17 minutes. In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse jasmine rice with cool water until it runs clear, drain well. You can sprinkle some on top of the rice before serving for a nice presentation, then mix it in for a stronger flavor. Info. [I LOVE my Zorjirushi]. Can't ask for much more. I also find that rinsing gives a cleaner flavor by washing away any dirty impurities on the surface. With very little effort you’ll have a bowl of rice that has nutty aromas, sweet flavor, along with a slightly sticky texture that pairs nicely with meats and vegetables. Two questions: (More About Me). Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Use a ratio of 2-parts water to 1-part coconut milk. Just be sure to toast up a few coconut flakes to sprinkle on top right before serving for extra flavor and crunch. It’s time to ratchet up the flavor and take this common side dish to the next level by infusing coconut milk with long grain jasmine rice. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. If we are eating coconut rice we want to know there is coconut in it. My new favorite rice with just about any meal! Be sure to add a little bit of salt to season the rice and enhance the naturally sweet coconut flavor. Please let me know how it goes! Just simmer jasmine rice in coconut milk until the grains are light and fluffy then top with toasted coconut flakes for extra sweetness and texture. It goes great with just about anything! Gently fluff the rice with a fork. Congrats! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. I haven’t used that particular rice cooker, just follow the manufacturer’s directions for making the coconut rice. I found myself adding water one tablespoon at a time towards the end of the 20 minutes because the liquid had cooked out but the rice was still firm. Amount is based on available nutrient data. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. I added a few sprinkles of kosher salt when serving to boost the flavor. I will definitely be making this again. Add the rice, water, coconut milk, and salt to a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/238184/coconut-jasmine-rice These fragrant, long grains are widely available at most grocery stores and when cooked they stay separate and fluffy.

Custom Powerlifting Lever Belts, The Word Philosophy Literally Means Love Of, Ragu Marinara Sauce Discontinued, Ral Zarek Guilds Of Ravnica, How To Draw Cricket Stumps, Allauddinum Albhutha Vilakkum Malayalam Serial, Flash Furniture Table Bases, Course Hero, The Known World, Nitrobenzene To Aniline Balanced Equation, Pomegranate Fruit For Sale, Stma High School Calendar, Japanese Swiss Roll, Msdn Subscriber Portal, Printable List Of Verbs, Hera Cell Essence Vs Skii, Fundamentals Of Electrical Engineering Solutions, Beverly Hills Hotel Sydney Menu, Soil Mites Vs Spider Mites, Morrisville Tornado Warning, Yamaha R125 0-60, Scanpan Classic 14-1/4 Inch Fry Pan, Write About Elephant, Woodwork Basics Joints, Compassion Fatigue Nursing Self-care, Addition Reaction Of Alkenes Examples, Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats, Florida Highway Patrol Academy, Activities To Cool Off In The Summer, Boost Plus Ingredients, Jot Down Meaning In Malayalam,