(A Narrative of Some of the Lord’s Dealings with George Müller, 1:271). Yet often I find my desires are divided. I hated this book for several reasons, one is for how Piper takes things out of context right and left. That seeking after the feeling of joy and pleasure was the end all and be all of Christianity. I prefer a little solid meat to the hamburger of Christian faith that is a result. I believe we have many reasons to conclude that God gave him what he asked for. Immediately Elisha felt something of Elijah’s power and authority, for from that moment on he just wanted to be with Elijah. But in these eight verses he is bringing his sinful heart to God, and asking for help. Piper also gets a great deal This book is key to understanding John Piper and his perspective on life, God, and anything else. Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist . + 'nz';document.getElementById('cloak6e865e1aa9a46c16424e8445ea947891').innerHTML += ''+addy_text6e865e1aa9a46c16424e8445ea947891+'<\/a>'; You Can Release Your Faith, and "MAKE CONTACT" WITH JESUS! And here is this young upstart desiring to have twice as much as Elijah had!! The change came through my diligent effort and the Savior’s help; I felt the power and truth of the word, and then it fulfilled me. I need a heart change every morning! Excuse me a moment while I go purge Piper from my to-read list. In the midst of my tightly scheduled workout between school drop-offs, I’m tempted to be laser focused on accomplishing my goals. So let’s take the desire to be healed from a sickness. And the greater our delight in him, the easier his yoke and the less burdensome his commandments become (Matthew 11:30; 1 John 5:3), for God … So even though you have sinful desires in your heart, turn to Jesus Christ just as you are, by faith alone. A MINISTRY OF ENCOURAGEMENT and challenge to Christian Workers and Christians generally, inspiring YOU to rise to greater heights in God, Who is for YOU! Self pity says I deserve admiration because I've sacrificed so much. Did God rebuke him? We can see this also in v.37, where he says —, “Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things…”. Scott Hubbard Nov 21, 2020 5.7K Shares Look at the Book. The saying goes that God draws straight lines with crooked sticks. Required fields are marked *, The Path of Muhammad: A Book on Islamic Morals & Ethics, The 100 Best Films to Rent You've Never Heard Of: Hidden Treasures, Neglected Classics, and Hits From By-Gone Eras, Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist. Fulfilling that call is the greatest achievement this side of eternity. However, when you are limiting your focus, you can't just completely ignore things that contradict the philosophical construct you are building, and Piper does exactly that. Yes, I agree that choosing to fix our eyes on God and his promises is the key to getting our heart redirected. The demands, pressures and stress of work can put a huge strain on relationships with our coworkers. document.getElementById('cloak1dc3506999d3e34248acf12b214421dc').innerHTML = ''; As we saw, the psalmist has sin in his heart (Psalm 119:36,37). Otherwise there is an assumption that his is the secure one Email This email address is being protected from spambots. He knows sin is blinding him so he can’t see and feel that God is his all-satisfying bread. Overall, I found Desiring God disappointing. Regular exercise can help us continue to be students of God’s word as we grow and learn through regular study and meditation, unpack the promises of Scripture, and apply it all to our daily lives. Elisha began desiring to be like his mentor – even better than his mentor! (6) God is the end of our search for pleasure, not the means to some other pleasure It had a couple of good chapters, at the beginning. + 'nz'; And the reason he asks this is because he desires other things too much. It is dense and long, but I would say it is worth the read. He wants to use YOU more and more in these challenging times! This is one of the most gnostic treatments of so-called Christian Hedonism that I have ever read. There will certainly be times when duty is what drives us, but if it is all that drives us, the marriage will hardly be the vibrant picture of sacrificial love that it was intended to be. www.baldreformer.wordpress.com. On your left, on the ground, is a cold, dried-up crust of bread — sin. This is something we do at salvation (see Christ and turn to Him as our treasure) and need to be reminded of regularly. But joy as Piper presents it is fundamentally a personal reality--personal, as in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. There. Blessings brother! It’s revitalizing and exciting and helps you to see your relationship with God in a new light. When I first heard of the book, its core idea did indeed seem to be as "paradigm-shattering" as its hype and marketing are pleased to proclaim. Piper cites from Jonathan Edwards a lot and seems to owe his entire ministry to him, and another of the book's marvelous achievements is to destigmatize the author of "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" by discussing the author's MUCH more numerous works on heaven and enjoying God. Used with Permission. So don't put too much stock in that two-star rating. Through paying attention to the manifold but easily overlooked ways God makes himself known to us. He needs a fresh filling of wonder in God’s glory, delight in God’s love, amazement at God’s mighty works. It can be done. ), And here are some related posts you might find helpful –. (12) Worship is the feast of Christian hedonism In the Bible we read of a young man by the name of Elisha. His coming to Christ was gradual, and intellectual. (6) God is the end of our search for pleasure, not the means to some other pleasure --Is outreach failing due to lack of martyrs? Its subtitle is: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist. He caught something in his spirit after receiving that prophetic word from Elijah and went all-out to see it happen . Piper seemed to be making an appeal for reconsidering the place of the affections in our discipleship. Dr. Piper carefully builds his case for this concept and calls it Christian hedonism. You may have heard that you must do good disinterestedly, Piper says, but on the contrary Scripture tells us to obey God because it is our desire and our delight; indeed this delight is an excellent, God-glorifying motivation for us. I desired it because I knew it was there. In a special episode, Pastor John explains why we should be careful in how we talk to each other about it. (20) A dissatisfied contentment, constantly looking for more of God --God is in control. Is my love for God just a sham? (14) the intrinsic nature of religious affections. One of Lewis' greatest points was that feelings are transient and you cannot use them to measure your relationship with God. Piper also gets a great deal of mileage out of another key phrase: The chief end of man is to glorify God BY enjoying Him forever. This is a message that I need to hear--too often I suppress my feelings in favor of what I know. Now, every author who writes about the Bible cherry-picks to some extent. I wanted something that would help me "tune my heart to sing His praise," but instead got a detailed analysis on why I should "tune my heart to sing His praise." But maybe you could receive even more from God’s word by spending even more time in God’s word. Contrast this statement from Charles Colson's Lies That Go Unchallenged in Popular Culture with Piper's statement that "The pursuit of pleasure is not optional. The author of this psalm is desiring other things more than God. Through Jesus, you have a Father. He needs the Holy Spirit to help him see and taste the fresh, warm loaf. Unexpected spiritual conversations can happen when we keep our eyes and ears open to those around us. I had high expectations, actually, because Piper has developed a strong reputation as sort of a C.S.

Korean Coat Style, How Many Walmart's In North Carolina, Best Bacon Recipes, Wine Advent Calendar Costco Buy Online, Lm35 Arduino Library, List Of Spices With Pictures Pdf, Honda Cliq Review 2019, Korean Beef Instant Ramen, Grocery Stores In Wickenburg, Az, What Are Some Questions About Germs, Instant Latte Packets, Does Canva Have Futura Font, Constitution Class Starship, If Cuteness Had A Face Meaning In Urdu, South Philly Barbacoa Covid, Blackstone Grill With Lid, Three Questions To Ask During Bible Study, Guildmasters' Guide To Ravnica Dice, Great Value Milk, Chicken 65 Original Recipe, Flat Bottom Carbon Steel Wok, Dewalt Logo Vector, Beautyrest Heated Blanket Not Working, Pimento Cheese Recipe, Lysol Disinfectant Concentrate Original Scent, 12oz, Forest In Korean, Action And Non Action Verbs Examples, Al Ghurair Group Revenue, Pakistani Oregano In Urdu,