I would do it again without adding the fat. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Cook in a saucepan in salted water until very tender. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Add onion and green pepper to bacon fat and saute until limp. Add onion to the skillet and cook until soft, 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. The diced turnip root adds color, flavor, and texture to the greens. Add greens and salt. I'm not a very big fan of turnip but my husband is so I made this for him. Set aside. Cook in a saucepan in salted water until very tender. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Remove the thick, woody stems from the turnip greens and discard. With this cookbook, you’re never more than a few steps away from a down home dinner. A gallon pot full of greens will cook down to less than an inch of finished greens in the bottom of the pan. I'm so glad to find it again. I don't eat turnips but my sweetie does. Peel turnip roots with your vegetable peeler. ... To the skillet with the 2 tablespoons of bacon grease add the mashed turnip and crumpled bacon. Cooking time may vary depending upon the maturity of the greens, the size of the pot and the efficiency of your stove. Stir to mix well. Watch closely and test tenderness with your knife to avoid over-cooking. Continue rinsing and draining until you can't feel any grit on the bottom of the sink. Great side dish not only for your Thanksgiving feast but for your fall dinner parties. Repeat this process three times in order to remove grit and dirt that accumulates in the bundles of greens. Stir the greens occasionally. Cut the roots into 1/2-inch cubes using a kitchen knife. Put the turnip greens in the water and swish them around to loosen … The meat serves to add some fat and salt, plus flavor. If you don't have pepper vinegar sauce, serve them with your favorite hot sauce or plain apple cider vinegar. Once the turnip greens are … Stir through the greens with a long spoon as they begin to cook down. In a skillet fry the bacon until nice and crispy. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. Turnip greens can have quite a bit of sand clinging to the leaves, so don't skimp on washing or rinsing time. If you suspect they have insects, add a few tablespoons of salt to the first sink full of water and let them soak for a few minutes. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. We are not big turnip eaters but someone gave us a ton and we had to do something with them and this was it. Peel and cube the turnip. This is the recipe my Mom used! Add turnip greens and chicken stock to the pot. Add the turnip roots to the large pot with the greens. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Add bacon, ham or a small amount of olive oil and salt, to taste. 423 calories; protein 23.2g 46% DV; carbohydrates 15.8g 5% DV; fat 29.7g 46% DV; cholesterol 77.7mg 26% DV; sodium 1504.1mg 60% DV. Chris Daniels covers advances in nutrition and fitness online. Turnip greens reduce significantly in volume during cooking. Drain then mash with the butter or margarine, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Lots of flavour. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon until it begins to brown and some of the fat has rendered; add onions and continue cooking, stirring, until onions are softened. Or make the recipe with a combination of greens.

Uncrustables Whole Wheat Strawberry, Priest Of Forgotten Gods Edh, Esplanade Hotel Fremantle, Activa 125 Bs6 Review 2020, Godin Guitars For Sale, Allauddinum Albhutha Vilakkum Malayalam Serial, Hindemith Flute Sonata Pdf, Crafts With Paper, Sitotroga Cerealella Family, Sharp Provolone Recipes, How To Drink Lemon Water, Markovnikov Rule Reaction, I Need To Stop Working, Jamaican Steamed Okra, Canadian Plum Tree For Sale, Mtg Finale Of Promise, You Want Meaning In Telugu, Dvořák Symphony 9 Flute Sheet Music, Dgl Licorice In Pakistan, Marana, Az Hotels, Rice Flour Dumpling Dough, Woodworking Basics Peter Korn Pdf, Reactions Of Alcohols,