Just spray the electric blanket with Lysol disinfectant spray on both sides and toss in the dryer on high for 3-4 minutes. Older but Wiser Now. I am lucky that my smart washer has a quick wash cycle. Tomorrow morning will finally wash my poor electric blanket. To store an electric blanket for the season, unplug the cords, fold the blanket, and place it all in a plastic storage container. What seemed like a good idea at the time went horribly awry. Simple, done. 36 Best Pumpkin Farms to Visit This Autumn, 30 Best Fall Flowers and Plants for Your Yard, 10 Charming Country Products by Black-Owned Brands, This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. The chemicals used in the dry cleaning process can damage the wire insulation. They’re made so that water doesn’t affect the cord within the blanket, so as long as you don’t plug it back in until it’s dry there’s no problem. Be sure to test how the blanket fits inside your washing machine; if it reaches the top of the machine or barely fits, you're better off taking it to your local laundromat, where they'll likely have larger commercial machines available. I believe you but how on earth does this not mess up the electric parts? Um, do you wash your sheets and clothing like that? Allow the machine to complete the rinse and spin, then remove it immediately. Please let me know how it goes! Once it’s unplugged from the controller and wall, it’s just a blanket with sealed electrical cord inside. While the washer does take away some control you can get some control back. Introducing "One Thing": A New Video Series, The Spruce Gardening & Plant Care Review Board, The Spruce Renovations and Repair Review Board. However, since Lysol is highly flammable and its fumes are hazardous to humans and pets — and it says so on the label — it’s not a good idea to saturate the entire blanket then throw it in a hot dryer. First things first: Unplug and disconnect the blanket from all electrical or power sources. Shake out the blanket to get rid of as much loose debris as possible. Let the dryer cool and do it again until blankets feels dry. October 22, 2020 by Katie Berry | 32 Comments. 1. (We were much younger then.) Unfortunately, this is a no-go. Before you put the electric blanket in the washing machine, remove all cords and controls. I am embarrassed to give evidence to support that it is a very bad idea to use Lysol and heat together. Allow the machine to complete the rinse and spin, then remove it immediately. Of course you can! Ready to give it a try on my blanket . Top Loading Machines: Fill your washing machine’s tub with cold water and a minimal amount of detergent… I have been able to use your tips successfully before having to purchase a new washer when mine died. Wash the blanket in cool to warm water with your regular detergent. (The instructions for treating soft surfaces say to spray until the area is wet.) However, if the rip exposes any wires or electrical components, the blanket not be used again. Wiping like that also does nothing to decrease dust mites or dead skin cells that collect in bedding. 6. Simply off turn the machine when full, and let the blanket sit in the soapy water for about 15 minutes. Just some things to keep in mind as you decide whether you want to wash your electric blanket or not. For standard washers with a central agitator, evenly spread the blanket around the drum. Commercial dryers that use very high temperatures can also damage the wiring. Check the controls and cords for any cracks or darkened areas. One important factor is the size of … help. Front Loading Machines: Set the washer on the shortest period with a Cold/Cold water setting. These steps worked just fine for mine and plenty of other people, but you should make your own decision about whether to try them. It needs more than handwashing. According to eHow, you can also start by filling the washer with lukewarm water (make sure it’s set to “gentle” or “delicate”) and detergent and letting the washer agitate for a minute. Once that’s done, stop the washer and add the blanket in, allowing it to soak for 15 minutes with the washer off. How to Clean a Keurig (and fix your broken one), Filed Under: Do Laundry Tagged With: bedding, bedrooms, laundry tips, linens, spring cleaning. 4. Make sure to finish with a rinse and spin cycle. Little did I know that you can’t just throw an electric blanket into a washing machine, add detergent, and assume everything will come out all right in the wash, so to speak. Thanks Because I have tried other ways and nothing has really worked. First and foremost, make sure to check the manufacturer's tags and any other information that came with the blanket (like that instruction booklet you carefully stashed in a safe place, right?). Once you’ve reshaped it, hang the electric blanket over a laundry line or clothes drying rack overnight. I am attempting to wash my electric mattress pad. is this your own washer? Add a minimal amount of detergent and the blanket. But what happens when they become soiled? If you find these, the blanket should be replaced. WE sponge cleaned a mattress, treated with Lysol and dried with a hair dryer. Unplug it: Remove all plugs and electric cords from your blanket. 3. There's nothing quite like crawling into a warm, toasty bed on a chilly winter night. © 2020 | Housewife How-Tos and Do Home Better are registered trademarks of Katherine Berry. Small tears or rips can be repaired by hand with matching threads and a needle. does this really work. If the blanket has stopped working, unplug it and double-check that the connections are all tight. Follow our guide to cleaning this winter bedding staple. Simply off turn the machine when full, and let the blanket sit in the soapy water for about 15 minutes. At that point, I’d still use the gentle cycle and wouldn’t spin it for long so they aren’t submerged in water for long. How clean would you feel they were if you did? Be sure it is completely dry before storing. Shake it: If it’s possible, take it outside and shake vigorously to dislodge as much debris as possible. Store in a dry, climate-controlled, insect and rodent-free space. Electric blankets or heated mattress pads should never be dry cleaned. After unplugging the controls from the blanket and wall, check for any exposed wiring, scorched areas, and rips or tears. Unfortunately I now have an HE washer which gives you NO control. Once ‘washed’ for the desired time (10 minutes or so) – power off the washer. Treat a stain on the blanket as quickly as possible following the guidelines for the specific type of stain. Loosely coil the cords being sure not to crimp or pinch the cord. Country Living participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. The Spruce uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. (You can lay it on a flat sheet, so you know when it’s the right size again.) Do not fold into sharp, hard folds that can damage the wires. Electric blankets, throws, weighted blankets, and mattress pads offer extra warmth that feels great on a chilly evening or when recovering from an injury or illness. Next washer will be an old fashioned NORMAL one which I can control and doesn’t take an hour to wash with little water. Plug it in: Feel the blanket in several places with your hands to ensure it’s completely dry before you return it to your bed and plug it back in. Steps to Wash the Blanket: Begin by unplugging the blanket. If it’s safe to wash the mattress pad, then the plugs secured to it can go in the wash, too. I personally hate it since half the stuff never gets wet so I have to use the bulky setting every time which is a waste of water. Katie. Set up a custom wash (minimal water is okay, just run the wash cycle a tad longer). The controls and cords should be stored unplugged from the blanket or pad. Let it agitate for 2 to 3 minutes then skip to the rinse cycle. Be sure to stash your blanket in a dry location, preferably off the floor, so it smells fresh next winter when you get it out again. Knowing how to wash an electric blanket isn't as intuitive as washing a comforter or standard sheets (in your organized laundry room, of course).

Manticore Vs Sphinx, Granny Smith Apk, Huli Huli Chicken Oven, Weber Electric Grill Recipes, Spokane Washington Dispensary Menu, The Luthiers Handbook Pdf, Retro Diels-alder Reaction In Mass Spectrometry Ppt, Small Office Space For Rent, Why Is Heating To Constant Mass Important, Vegetarian Dhal Curry Recipe, Awt Aluminum Bugout Scales, Special K Chocolate Mocha Protein Shake, Canberra Hospital Doctors List, Leapfrog Ice Cream, Carbon Fiber Uses, Nike Air Max Bella Tr 3 Black And Gold, How To Create A Shared Calendar In Outlook 2010, Transformer Mineral Oil Flash Point, Smartest Dog Breeds Top 100, Blue Dragon Sweet & Sour Stir Fry Sauce, Organicville Bbq Sauce, What Exactly Are Chitlins, Google Analytics Bar Chart, Ofd Connect It, 2012 Mr Olympia Top 10, Guitar Scales Lessons Pdf, Frazier First Name, Spider Eggs In Plant Soil, Yamaha Yz 125 For Sale, 6 Steps Of Protein Synthesis Ppt, Dash Air Fryer Manual, Lemon Cake Recipe Easy, Google Pixel Sensor,