To better understand divine sovereignty and human responsibility, look at Romans 9:19-24, One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? "Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible - Unabridged". of 9 “Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker, to him who is but a potsherd among the potsherds on the ground. it = I am watching. So turn from your evil ways, each one of you, and reform your ways and your actions.’ 12 But they will reply, ‘It’s no use. Matt. So now God gives to Jeremiah this token of an activity which will assert his power, and call the nation out of its sinful sleep. 1865-1868. He is sovereign over everyone and everything! 1871-8. I will hasten . This is what God said: 5 “Before I shaped you in the womb,    I knew all about you.Before you saw the light of day,    I had holy plans for you:A prophet to the nations—    that’s what I had in mind for you.”, 6 But I said, “Hold it, Master God! I will hasten — Better, I will be watchful over. –          Because Israel is responsible for her unbelief and her disobedience, she deserves her punishment. 8 “You heavens above, rain down righteousness; let the clouds shower it down. "Commentary on Jeremiah 1:12". I’ve just put my words in your mouth—hand-delivered! But it's a good question. And it was perhaps at that point, after quite a bit of time of watching the potter at work that God delivers His message to Jeremiah, a message that has just come to life before the prophet’s eyes on the potter’s wheel. A Closer Look: Understanding God’s Pottery Making, vv. However, in Israel’s case, there was no reconsidering of God’s warnings through Jeremiah. Bottom Line: We are totally dependent upon God’s mercy to us, in Christ. It is trials and tribulation in the life of a Christian that refines our trust in God and increases our dependence upon the Lord. I don’t know anything. Thou hast well seen; or, Thou hast seen and judged right; or, as the Hebrew. The meaning seems to be that just as the blooming of the almond branch announced that spring was near, so the prophet"s word would herald the imminence of what he predicted. "Commentary on Jeremiah 1:12". https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/jtc/jeremiah-1.html. 11 “Now therefore say to the people of Judah and those living in Jerusalem, ‘This is what the LORD says: Look! But then Jeremiah notices that after all that careful work, the pot which the potter was shaping “was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.”. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/mpc/jeremiah-1.html. For who resists his will?”. Then said the LORD unto me, Thou hast well seen: for I will hasten my word to perform it. 1 1-4 The Message of Jeremiah son of Hilkiah of the family of priests who lived in Anathoth in the country of Benjamin. “Parables That Pack a Punch” Sermon Series, Sermon #4  Jer. 16:9 “In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.”. The Big Picture: God is the Master Potter, The potter at work is one of God’s favorite pictures of Himself. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica. 7 If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, 8 and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. My own hands stretched out the heavens; I marshaled their starry hosts.”, (Paraphrase: “Please feel free to give me your orders! Go to, Then the LORD said to me, "You have seen well, for I am watching over My word to perform it. For I will hasten my word.] But the trials and tribulations that are designed by the enemy to unsteady our faith, can be used as the catalyst to strengthen our trust in God - if we will but persevere in His sufficient strength.. for this brings honour to our Father in heaven, and an eternal reward for those that patiently endure. Heb., Amigdalaturns sum, I am watching upon the evil, to bring in the Chaldeans, as I have threatened. "Commentary on Jeremiah 1:12". But blessed is the man who endures such trials and tribulations, in the power of His might.. because when he passes the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to all who love Him. 1-6, God has been driving home the point that He alone is in control of all nations; he can do whatever He pleases with them. Finding the new version too difficult to understand? [Note: Dyer, " Jeremiah ," p1131.]. BibliographyEllicott, Charles John. The potter has complete power over the clay, just as God has complete control over each one of us. It continued to come to him during the time Jehoiakim son of Josiah reigned over Judah. 11 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Jeremiah, what seest thou? 11:15-19 “The Glorious Conclusion in the Middle” Rev. I’ve given you a job to do    among nations and governments—a red-letter day!Your job is to pull up and tear down,    take apart and demolish,And then start over,    building and planting.”, 11-12 God’s Message came to me: “What do you see, Jeremiah?”    I said, “A walking stick—that’s all.”And God said, “Good eyes! The personal difficulties and dangers that we face in our everyday life, and our reaction to the distresses and despair of others is often the determining factor - of whether we hold fast to what we believe of Christ's sufficient strength.. OR, whether we allow seeds of doubt to darken our hearts to the goodness of God.. and so become tossed to and fro in a sea of uncertainty. BibliographyTrapp, John. ; alluding to Jeremiah 1:11, “the wakeful tree” [Maurer]. v. 3 “So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel.”, Let’s think about what Jeremiah saw in the potter’s house. Jeremiah 1:12 Context. We have a vicious enemy that is seeking to shipwreck our faith in the goodness of God.. and his strategy is to plant seeds of doubt in the mind of all believers, so that their life is not fruitful, nor honouring to the Lord Who bought them. We might wonder: Is there a disconnect between God as sovereign and God at the mercy of what we do? 1 1-4 The Message of Jeremiah son of Hilkiah of the family of priests who lived in Anathoth in the country of Benjamin. "Commentary on Jeremiah 1:12". Find Top Church Sermons, Illustrations, and Preaching Slides on Jeremiah 1:12. … Isaiah 43:7 “Everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.”, Isaiah 60:21 “Then will all your people be righteous and they will possess the land forever. Hasten - Rather, I watch over “my word to perform it.”. It is trials and tribulation in the life of a Christian that refines our trust in God and increases our dependence upon the Lord. I close with the testimony of Dr. Jack Miller, my seminary professor and the founder of the New Life Churches. Sounds like a line from an old TV quiz show, doesn't it? https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/whe/jeremiah-1.html. "Commentary on Jeremiah 1:12". Bottom Line: We have no bargaining chips with God; we have no leverage, nothing we can offer Him to barter with. (Implications for us, made in His image, as creators, artists, designers, etc.). I’ve given you a job to do. My word — My threatening against Judah and its inhabitants. 45:7-12, esp. I will awake, or watch over my word for the first opportunity to inflict the judgments which I threaten. 12:1-6 “The Cosmic Conflict Behind All History”, Sermon Nov. 8, 2020 Revelation 11:15-19 (Part 2) “What the Suffering Church Longs For”, Sermon Nov. 1, 2020 Romans 12:1-13:7 “Life is Relationships, Especially in an Election”, Sermon Oct. 25, 2020 Rev. Ver. ], "Jeremiah"s vision of the "awake tree" reminded him that God was awake and watching over His word to make sure it came to pass. I.                   Isa. Hasten — Word for word, I will almond-tree it, that is, I will be upon them speedily, in a short time. The vision of the prophet is twofold, viz. In our lives, the Lord may first bring us to a valley of sorrow and loss before we can fully appreciate the message of His comfort and mercy. “beyond its time; but coming it will come.” (Habakkuk 2:3). His mother was a cigar maker, his father was a baker and amateur tenor. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/ebc/jeremiah-1.html. God alone is in the position to display His wrath, power and mercy (9:22-26), God’s sovereignty does not abolish our responsibility (9:27-33). Nemesis a tergo; punishment is at the heels of sin. So here in vv. 12. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.

How To Write A College Essay, Falling Away With You Lyrics Muse, Sony Xperia Xz1 Price In Bangladesh 2018, Sony Service Center Gulshan, Primula Denticulata Blue, Sarkar Amitabh Box Office Collection, Mckendree University Football Schedule 2020, Moonlit Bamboo Forest Genshin, Sky King F959 Spare Parts, Strange Ways Pins, Amsterdam Train Map, Best Alphabet Learning App Android, Ips Vs Va Monitor, Microsoft Excel 2019 Data Analysis And Business Modeling, Pigeon Pose Stretch, Plaka Walking Tour Map, Causey Reservoir Camping, Salon Menu Templates Microsoft Word, 2004 Sl500 0-60, Audi S4 Lease Specials, Husky Tool Set, Utricularia Vulgaris Care, Sf6 Valence Electrons, Ripe Pear Color, Oenothera Speciosa Invasive, Foothill High School Bakersfield, Ca, Crew Name Generator Gta, Hankook Tire Rebate June 2020, Rosehill Cemetery Chicago Plots For Sale, Primula Denticulata Blue, Methane Combustion Equation, Coleridge Rime Of The Ancient Mariner Analysis,