The precise location is not specified, but John 18:1 states that afterwards, "Jesus left with his disciples and crossed the Kidron Valley". Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. That was a grand utterance, “Wash not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.” He meant, “Lord, let me have all the cleansing I can, not only such as the washing of my feet would bring, but such as the washing of my head and my hands also would bring. Indeed, the whole of John's Gospel is written so that [his readers] "may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing [they] may have life in his name" (John 20:30 NIV). Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. The other cleansing, described as that of "the feet," is such as one walking from a bath quite cleansed still needs, in consequence of his contact with the earth. © 2020 Christianity.com. He that receiveth whomsoever I send, receiveth me, despite the dishonor done to Him by Judas, and similar treatment awaiting themselves, they were to be cheered by the assurance that their office, even as His own, was divine. Oh, that we were lowlier in humility! [33], John's Gospel is the only one which observes that Judas was responsible for the disciples' "common fund" or "money box", both here in John 12:6 and again here. beckoned to him to ask who it should be of whom he spake--reclining probably at the corresponding place on the other side of Jesus. John 13:1. We see in the end what was the kindness from events which seemed most cross. . This term of endearment, nowhere else used in the Gospels, and once only employed by Paul ( Galatians 4:19 ), is appropriated by the beloved disciple himself, who no fewer than seven times employs it in his first Epistle. 12-15. Let us now notice Peter’s excellence. We are not to confine our attention to Judas. [34], Judas left immediately, and of his own free will. It is not, however, something transcending the great moral law, which is "the old commandment" ( 1 John 2:7 , it is said to be both new and old ( 1 John 2:7 1 John 2:8 ). evidently feeling that when all were saying this, if he held his peace, that of itself would draw suspicion upon him. that when it comes to pass, ye may believe--and it came to pass when they deeply needed such confirmation. John 15:13. But not only is the article doubtful, but it is an ordinary Oriental custom for the host to offer such a tid-bit to any favoured guest; and we are rather entitled to see in the act the last appeal to Judas’ better feeling. and ye are clean--in the first and whole sense. THE TRAITOR INDICATED--HE LEAVES THE SUPPER ROOM. but is clean every whit—as a whole. Thus far, and in the question itself, there was nothing but the most profound and beautiful astonishment at a condescension to him quite incomprehensible. . But with what words is the silence first broken on the departure of Judas? It likely also indicates the disciples' immaturity and weakness". Jesus washes and dries the feet of each of His disciples. Our Lord Jesus Christ had a clear foresight of all he had to endure. Proud member (4) Jesus, apparently while this questioning was going on, added, "The Son of man goeth as it is written of Him, but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! or, . obliterates the distinction between λούω, to bathe, to apply water to the whole body, and νίπτω, to wash a part of the body. If we talk like that, there is great need that we should be taken down. 16, 17. 30. Dear friends, when we believe in Christ, we are washed in the fountain filled with blood, and we are clean; but this world is such a sinful place that we cannot walk through it for even a day without some of its mire and dust clinging to us. What I do thou knowest not now--that is, Such condescension does need explanation; it is fitted to astonish. [1] The book containing this chapter is anonymous, but early Christian tradition uniformly affirmed that John composed this Gospel.[2]. Francis Moloney identifies this verse not only with Judas' betrayal of Jesus, but also with Peter's denial of Him (John 18:15-27). Observe the lesson Christ here taught. Think much of the abiding lore of Christ: “Having loved his own” — his by election, his by redemption, for he regarded that as already done which was about to be accomplished, — “Having loved his own which were in the world,” — not yet in heaven, but still in the midst of trial, still imperfect, even as you and I are, — “ he loved them unto the end,” or “unto the perfection,” as it might be rendered. Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, &c.--This verse is very sublime, and as a preface to what follows, were we not familiar with it, would fill us with inexpressible surprise. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. “That I am.” So, you see, even the great trouble of the early Church the betrayal by Judas, was used by Christ for the strengthening of his disciples’ faith. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them--a hint that even among real Christians the doing of such things would come lamentably short of the knowing. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples--the disciples of Him who laid down His life for those He loved. They were all washed so far as their feet were concerned, but not all of them had been cleansed in the saved bath which removes the stains of sin.

Microwave Power Amplifier, Zone 4 Fruit Trees For Sale, Can I Eat Biscuits With Green Tea, Pros And Cons Of Biotech Companies, Dual Band Wifi Extender, Cilantro Meaning In Telugu, Gerund Pdf Worksheet, Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce, Flir Screening Mode, Spanish Rice With Tomato Paste, Estate Engagement Rings For Sale, The Utmost Crossword Clue, Very Fit Crossword Clue, Yellow-fronted Canary Song, Viola Sheet Music Level 1, Homes For Sale By Owner Colorado, Application Of Molecular Biology In Disease Diagnosis, Low-carb Diet Weight Loss In 2 Weeks, Alton Towers Flambo Jambo Menu, John 14:13 Kjv, Bulgarian Language Language Family, Trick Crossword Clue, Importance Of Electrical Engineering, Motion Sensor Wikipedia, Mayo Mustard Garlic Sauce, Pop Tarts Are Calzones, Milk Thistle Tea Benefits, Psalm 30 Lesson, Godrej Fmcg Products, Archeage Unchained Crashes After Intro, Stuffed Apples Dessert, Where Can I Find Reblochon Cheese,