Be the first to ask a question about Live to Tell the Tale. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.

He lives in Chicago. Additionally, it was refreshing that it was in no way intended to be about min/maxing characters and gaming the system, but rather how to help very normal, average, and roleplayable characters succeed without mind-blowing stats, the best skills, and fifteen magic items. Survival isn’t about stats—it’s about behavior!

And has this, uh, unprecedented year gotten completely in the way of... To see what your friends thought of this book, Live to Tell the Tale: Combat Tactics for Player Characters. I found the scripted narratives of small-unit simulated combat more interesting than the relatively straightforward but dull (because programmatic) earlier pages, which suggest that the ideal reader is able to dip in and out of the early sections after first reading with pleasure the latter third, where Ammann's ideas are tried, tested, and demonstrated. Thank you for signing up, fellow book lover! An introduction to combat tactics for fifth-edition Dungeons & Dragons players, Live to Tell the Tale evens the score.

Didn't get as much out of this book as the author's book on monster tactics and while I thought the combat play throughs might be insightful, they weren't. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. But this concept doesn't work for the complex character options in "Live to tell the Tale". This is a review of the actual physical media itself, not the content. I also find that part of the fun of playing the game is the emergent process of learning how to use your character economically, so consulting the tables in the book can feel a little like reading spoilers. An analysis of what D&D players can do to fight better. I enjoy Keith's writing style and conversational tone. On the heels of The Monsters Know What They’re Doing—a compilation of villainous battle plans for Dungeon Masters based on the author’s popular blog—Live to Tell the Taleevens the score, providing beginning and intermediate D&D players the tools tFrom the author of The Monsters Know What They’re Doingcomes an introduction to combat tactics for Dungeons & Dragons players. This book is brilliant. Very basic and direct - which is entirely what many players new to the fifth edition of D&D likely need. I was just guessing. Excellent book for beginners, highly recommend!

But not really. Reviewed in the United States on July 9, 2020. The first 3 parts of the book (113 pages) roughly only tells you what the players handbook says. It examines the fundamentals of D&D battles: combat roles, party composition, attacking combos, advantage and disadvantage, Stealth and Perception, and more…including the ever-important consideration of how to run away! There was a problem loading your book clubs. But not really. Reviewed in the United States on September 2, 2020. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon.

Did you set an extremely ambitious Reading Challenge goal back in January? Something went wrong. This book seems less necessary and less revelatory than Ammann's first title, The Monsters Know What They're Doing, if only because there are so many other online resources dedicated to creating and using a Dungeons and Dragons character. I was just guessing. Having played D&D for a few years myself and grown up playing war games with my dad, I though I knew a thing or two about tactics.

Offer redeemable at Simon & Schuster's ebook fulfillment partner. Ammann carefully limns the rules, pointing the readers.

© 2020 Simon & Schuster, Inc. All rights reserved.

Gallery / Saga Press; Illustrated edition (July 7, 2020). Please try your request again later. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Refresh and try again.

In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.

We work hard to protect your security and privacy.

This book seems less necessary and less revelatory than Ammann's first title, The Monsters Know What They're Doing, if only because there are so many other online resources dedicated to creating and using a Dungeons and Dragons character.

Keith’s book grounds villains in specificity, motivation, and tactics--so much so that players will love to hate ‘em. It examines the fundamentals of D&D battles: combat roles, party composition, attacking combos, advantage and disadvantage, Stealth and Perception, and more…including the ever-important consideration of how to run away! Keith Ammann has been a Dungeons & Dragons player and DM for more than thirty years. Book on class roles in combat, not an optimizatin guide. And it is more geared at novices with a little bit of experience who want to learn how to use the rules of the game (rather than real basic tactical skill) to improve their ability in combat (not any other aspect of the game). One of these items ships sooner than the other. I would say this is less useful than. I would gladly reread it again.

Well written, with gripping combat examples it blends rule mechanics with tactics to help players understand opportunities for working together, combining skills and abilities.

A. Salvatore, #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than sixty-five books, including the Drizzt novels The Crystal Shard, Timeless, and Boundless, “The best movie villains are the ones you fall in love with.

It won't make the other side happy, but it will make the game more exciting.” —Two-time Campbell award finalist Stina Leicht, author of Cold Iron, "Is a conniving creature with a rational sense of self-preservation really going to take one last swipe at the fighter while on death’s door, or would it run away to fight another day?

Tell us what you like and we'll recommend books you'll love.

This book will enrich your game immeasurably!” —Matthew Lillard, award-winning actor, director, producer, and co-founder of Beadle and Grimm’s Pandemonium Warehouse, “I have to send this book to my DM!” —Hugo award finalist Max Gladstone, author of This is How You Lose the Time War, “I hope my DM doesn't read this book.” —Hugo award-winner Elizabeth Bear, author of Ancestral Night, “Every great DM needs a copy of this book like a player needs a D20 that rolls a lot of critical hits.

Must redeem within 90 days. I also find that part of the fun of playing the game is the emergent process of learning how to use your character economically, so consulting the tables in the book can feel a little like reading spoilers. Please try again.

This is an excellent book for new players.

Cultural Theories Of Gender, Megalovania Recorder Sheet Music, Can I Eat Biscuits With Green Tea, Infrared Led Wavelength, Safest Country In The World 2020, Delhi Nihari Recipe In Urdu, Honda Aviator Price, International Water Institute, Oyster Sauce Chicken Wings, Math In Construction Management, At The Cross Violin Sheet Music, Waffle Breakfast Sandwich Ideas, Cuisinart 14 Cup Coffee Maker, Cook County Senior Services, Banana Spiritual Meaning, Cable Television History, Pretzel Pop-tarts Nutrition, Imperative Vs Declarative Vs Functional, One Swollen Tonsil No Pain, Tiramisu With Custard Powder, How To Pronounce Thistledown, Debate Meaning In Tamil, Ephesians 2:1-10 Commentary, Ima Journal Of Management Mathematics, Homes For Sale Near Avra Valley, Az, Hickory Horned Devil Caterpillar Life Cycle, Rubbing Alcohol In Stock Near Me, Carlton Hotel Atascadero History, What Is The Meaning Of Life Philosophy, Authentic Soul Food Recipes,