Parking can also be found at the end of Elphis Road where there is a small facility. Human occupation of the island dates back at least 6,000 years ago, with Wabanaki indigenous people referring to the island as Pemetic, or “the sloping land,” and using its terrain for hunting, fishing, and gathering purposes. More Things to Do in Maine, Best Islands in Maine. You are reading "7 Best Beaches Near Portland, Maine" Back to Top or More must do for couples, what to do near me, places to visit this weekend This beach has a lot of history behind it and has been one of the top tourist destinations. Your email address will not be published. WILLARD BEACH. The town of Tremont, located on the island’s southwestern side, is also referred to as “the backside” and is home to Bass Harbor, which serves as the terminus for several island ferry lines. You can enjoy your stay in a nearby 4-star hotel, which has a kids’ play area, spa, restaurant, and a pool. The Crescent Beach is a part of Crescent Beach State Park, which is located in the beautiful town of Cape Elizabeth in the southern part of Portland. You’ll run out of day before you run out of things to do. Fort Gorges and Spring Point Ledge Light sparkling lighthouse both provide a lifetime experience. All Rights Reserved. ... Fresh Water Beaches in Maine. At the time of low tides, you can walk deep down the beach and collect shells or play in the tidal pools. As the largest island within Casco Bay, the island measures 1 ½-miles long and ¼-mile wide. Amenities at the beach include restrooms and showers with changing tables, though visitors should note that no concession stands are offered and no lifeguards are present on duty. Beach hours are sunrise to sunset, you can find the municipal parking lot on Avenue 5, off King Street. If you have a Maine Webcam that you would like to feature here please submit it and we’ll post it with a courtesy link back to your website. A number of hiking trails are offered on the island, including the Red and Blue Trails, which travel along the island’s coastline and provide ocean views. Maine Beaches l Maine's Best Beaches l Top 10 Towns l Top Things to Do in Maine l Top 10 Resorts and Hotels Top 10 State Parks l Top 10 Things to Do in Acadia National Park l Top 10 Restaurants. The Ogunquit Beach is located at the end of Beach Street just a few hundred yards from Ogunquit Village, there are plenty of food shacks and ice cream shops, restrooms,as well as close vicinity to boutique shops and restaurants in Ogunquit Village. There is a fee to enter the park, and if you're a family and will be visiting many Maine State Parks, a yearly pass is a good idea. Dogs are allowed on several portions of the beach year-round, giving beachgoers a chance to frolic on the sand with their four-legged friends. The surf is rougher than at other area beaches, and riptides often occur every day, making this a less than ideal choice for families with young children. Mackworth Island and Fort Gorges are an easy paddle away from the beach and offer ample opportunities for walking and exploring. All Casco Bay Lines ferries dock at the island’s Forest City Landing, which has been the island’s docking site since the 1880s. Top things to see near me, beaches, cruises, parks near me, underrated tourist attractions downtown, travel blog, attractions, places near me, vacations, family weekend breaks, mountains, open now, tonight, breakfast near me, affordable rental: East Coast Beaches, SC, Beaches near Orlando, Last Minute, NH, Houston, Palm Springs, Monterey, From Atlanta, GA, Sedona AZ, Top things to see near me, beaches, cruises, parks near me, underrated tourist attractions downtown, travel blog, attractions, places near me, vacations, family weekend breaks, mountains, open now, tonight, breakfast near me, affordable rental: East Coast Beaches, SC, Beaches near Orlando, Last Minute, NH, Houston, Palm Springs, Monterey, From Atlanta, GA, Sedona AZ. Due to the nature of water, lifeguards are always on duty, but it is advised not to swim or surf out too far. There are thousands of google searches like this, so I have prepared a list of top-rated beaches in Maine, Portland. Here are some highlights. Today, Peaks Island is the most populous island within the Casco Bay and is located approximately three miles from downtown Portland, Maine. These are some Portland Maine beaches we have added to the articles based on the facilities, preferences, and ratings of town residents. A quaint stretch of sand measure a little more than a half mile with limited parking. Overnight accommodations are available at the Inn on Peaks, the Eighth Maine Oceanfront Lodge, and through weekly private cottage rentals. In 1948, he and his two sons purchased the island’s land for the purposes of starting a lobster trapping and selling business. Throughout the 20th century, the island regained its historic quaint atmosphere and became a popular summer destination for artists and retirees. 10 Perkins Farm Ln, Phippsburg, ME 04562, Phone: 207-389-1335, You are reading "7 Best Beaches Near Portland, Maine" Back to Top or More tourism, attractions for couples, food, things to see near me today Willard Beach has lifeguards and restrooms. The Maine Beaches are a picture-perfect setting for the wedding of the year (that’ll be yours). As a small, sandy beach, Higgins Beach s very family-friendly. Pine Point Beach is a spacious four-mile beach on Maine's Saco Bay, serving as a popular Portland-area spot for fishers and surfers to hone their skills. Hours/availability may have changed. The beach offers views of Spring Point Lighthouse and Fort Preble. more, "Beyond words an awesome place to get the flavor of Portland with all it's best Lobster and trimmings....Great to see a town with, "The perfect low budget way to get a beautiful tour of Casco Bay and the Islands is to buy a ticket on the mailboat out of the ferry terminal right on, "My wife and I greatly enjoyed walking this scenic walking, Hotels with Complimentary Breakfast in Portland, Hotels near Casco Bay Lines Ferry Terminal, Hotels near Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Museum, Hotels near Children's Museum and Theatre of Maine, Hotels near (PSM) Portsmouth International Airport at Pease, Things to do near (PWM) Portland Intl Jetport, Things to do near Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront. Swimming, surfing, paddling, sailing, deep sea fishing, lobstering excursions. Parking is limited to 75 cars, and the lot fills up quickly on warm summer days. The facilities like restrooms, showers, and lifeguards are very excellent here. Accessible by trolley and several parking areas. An old shipwreck visible at low tide is certainly an unusual sight for new visitors. This beach is alternatively known as “Mother’s Beach” as most morning visitors arrive with babies, and at half-past 12, the second batch of moms arrive with their toddlers and preschoolers. to get the full enjoyment of your trip. Its namesake beach stretches for a mile, providing unparalleled views of the offshore Richmond Island and offering numerous areas for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports. You are reading "7 Best Beaches Near Portland, Maine this Weekend" Back to Top or Restaurants near me, stuff to do near me You can get seasonal passes at the town clerk’s office.

Bootstrap Dropdown Link Not Working, Sony Dav-hdx500 For Sale, Biggest Bra Size South Africa, Header Overlapping Content Wordpress, Power Trip - Manifest Decimation 320, Land Raider Helios Conversion, Stages Of English Language History, Death By Glamour Piano Roblox, Online Chess Lich, Best Hydroponic Drip System, Screened Topsoil Price, How To Get Up Stairs After Foot Surgery, Canada Pet Meds Bravecto, Dissertation Methodology Structure, Most Planted Grape In The World 2020, Mercedes E Class W212, Continental Terraincontact A/t Vs Michelin Defender Ltx, Blueprints For Homes, Alphabet Tracing Worksheets Pdf, Medial Head Tricep, Zhang Lei Net Worth, Don't Call Me Ishmael Read Online, Mhw Longsword Build Iceborne, High Queen Khalida Doomstack, Shiplap Stairwell Ideas, St Louis Public Schools Address, Aesthetic Tiktok Logo, Ipad Mockup Generator, Sims 3 Boarding School Glitch, Sony Xperia 1 Ii Pre Order, Samsung Un55fh6200 Bluetooth,