Created by Charity Davenport using NounProject, One of the most difficult aspects of using gerunds or infinitives is when they are used after a verb. A gerund or an infinitive can be used after a main verb. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. As far as I know, the verb 'promise' can only be used in three ways. Agreed. But I'm not sure (else I would add an answer of my own, rather than nitpick others' :). What are Gerunds? TO-infinitive or gerund: NEED, REQUIRE, WANT. I have checked two dictionaries and can't find that "to promise" can mean to suggest. Whether you use a gerund or an infinitive depends on the main verb in the sentence. It sounds strange to me. Menu. Can to-infinitives be used after the verb “dislike”? Is it possible to output a relative line number in flagderiv? promise 1) promise + someone + to-infinitive I promised my father to do my best always. Other verbs in this group include afford, agree, ask, choose, decide, expect, hope, plan, prepare, promise, refuse and would like. I only found the normal construction "to promise to do". How to make an Android app "forget" that it installed on my phone before? As the chart explains, some verbs require either a gerund or infinitive after them. After a preposition, you almost always will find a gerund. Verb Lists: Infinitives and Gerunds: Principles of Composition Verbs Followed by an Infinitive She agreed to speak before the game. Verbing (Present Participle) Add ing to most verbs. I quit smoking. Gerunds are mostly used when actions are real, fixed, or completed. 1) with a noun: He promised me a present next time he went to America. "He promised cleaning the fish would be easy.". "to promise to do" is the typical construction when "to promise" is followed by a verb. When you are talking about an activity, you usually use a gerund. What language competence has the person who said "to promise can also be followed by a gerund in the meaning of to suggest"? How to golf evaluation of math expression in MySQL? Any action verb can be made into a gerund. Grammar test 2. I enjoy cooking. Yes, a gerund is a noun with a force of a verb, and I do believe that's how it's used in Jim's sentence. How small could an orbital system be in our solar system? As far as I know, the verb 'promise' can only be used in three ways. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Ex. I have learnt that "promise" should be followed with "to + verb" as you mentioned. 2) with an optional 'that' followed by a clause: They promised (that) they would never forget what had happened. She is afraid of flying. Gerunds and Infinitives Exercise 2; Gerunds and Infinitives Exercise 3; Gerunds and Infinitives Exercise 4 ; Go to the main gerunds and infinitives exercises page. Need, require and want can be followed by the active or passive to-infinitives to express active or passive meanings, respectively: I need to make a phone call. A gerund is a verb in its ing (present participle) form that functions as a noun that names an activity rather than a person or thing. Using water as a high density storable hydro-lox propellant. Device category between router and firewall (subnetting but nothing more). The necessary secondary characteristics of a humanoid, sequentially hermaphroditic race. 3) promise + that You could just memorize which verbs need a gerund and which need an infinitive, or you could use the loose rule pictured here. Co-authoring a paper with a persona non grata. Do this exercise to test your grammar again. Pre-intermediate: A2. Verbs followed by '-ing' or by 'to' + infinitive' 1: Grammar test 2. @Dan Bron oh thanks... so is it possible that "brightening" acts as a noun in this sentence. advise allow ask beg bring build buy challenge: choose command dare direct encourage expect … It depends on the verb, and there isn’t an easy rule for this case. Need more practice? Is there a reason to not grate cheese ahead of time? My job requires me to handle many letters from abroad. Yes, it did seem strange, I wasn't even exactly sure what the sentence meant. 3) with a full infinitive: She promised to take me to the doctor's. (same reason as Jim's comment about Ads??). Kako da znate kada da koristite gerund, a kada infinitiv? Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange! 3. 2. What's the finest readily-available way to write on paper? Consult the lists below to find out which form to use following which verbs. This appears mostly in News (Headline news sometimes), so I wonder if it is a way to make the sentence sounds more concise and interesting?? GERUND OR INFINITIVE? 3. kao subjekat ili objekat rečenice - Swimming is good exercise. Who can use spell-scrolls done by a bard using their 'Magic Secrets' ability? 2) with an optional 'that' followed by a clause: They promised (that) they would never forget what had happened. The commercial for the window cleaning solution promised brightening, but it didn't work. The following guidelines and lists will help you figure out whether a gerund or infinitive is needed. I am not a native speaker, but I just want to share my opinion. Log in or register to post comments; Comments. Following a verb (gerund or infinitive) Both gerunds and infinitives can replace a noun as the object of a verb. Expressions. Is the union of partially ordered sets also partially ordered? Gérondif ou Infinitif Although the terms might sound foreign, the gerunds and infinitives are common parts of speech that we use everyday, whether we know them or not. Did his usage in that example seem strange to you? We need to clean up this mess. By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Infinitives are mostly used when actions are unreal, abstract, or future.

New York Cheesecake Baked, Digital Photography Pdf, English Vocabulary Test With Answers, Nike Air Max Bella Tr 3 Black And Gold, Anime Wallpaper Collection Zip, Grammar Quiz With Answers, Orlando Police Department Officers, Masako Terrace House Filipino, Nic Salt E Liquid, Pomegranate Meaning In Urdu And Pronunciation, Forget Me Not Infinity Tattoo, Top 10 Manufacturers Of Cmos Image Sensors 2019, Home Recording Studio Design, Disobey Meaning In Kannada, Python Proficiency Levels, Blueberry Bread With Crumb Topping, Cheese That Loves Jjimdak, Great Value Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce, Basic Physical Principles Of Ultrasound, Kado Vegetable In English, Cisco 819 Eol, Write An Essay About An Elephant, Grand Lake, Co Fireworks 2020, How Does A Guitar Make Sound, Why Do Alkenes Have Lower Boiling Points Than Alcohols, Cenozoic Era Plants, Peking Pork Chop Recipe, Tedious Meaning In Urdu, Math In Construction Management,