An Illustrated Dictionary of Ancient Mesopotamia, Reviewed in the United States on October 13, 2007. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. This book, put together by two scholars in the field, solves this problem. Some claim that he was worshiped as the Lord ghost, while, others regarded him to be the Lord of air. It is very easily read though it is based on academic researches and citations from original texts. This book does not need any background knowledge. Central, of course, are the specifically religious texts comprising god lists, myths, hymns, laments, prayers, rituals, omen texts, incantations, and other forms; however, since religion permeated the culture, giving form and meaning to all aspects of it, any written text, any work of art, or any of its material remains are directly or indirectly related to the religion and may further scholarly knowledge of it. However, when you get into the text, it is extremely worthwhile - clear, beautifully written, informative, packed with information, but factual. Mesopotamian religion, beliefs and practices of the Sumerians and Akkadians, and their successors, the Babylonians and Assyrians, who inhabited ancient Mesopotamia (now in Iraq) in the millennia before the Christian era. My original interest in the book pertained to the correlations between Mesopotamian mythology and the stories found in the `Old Testament,' i.e. Please try again. The more vivid and expressive the words are, the more they are believed to be efficacious—so by its expressiveness literature forms a natural vehicle of such creativity. Inevitably, for reasons of space and cost, those glossaries were very brief and not cross-referenced. Fifty or more copies or fragments of copies of a single composition may support a modern edition, and many thousands more copies probably lie unread, still buried in the earth. Not only for other academics, Reviewed in the United States on August 17, 2009. There are several excellent reviews of this book (although one review posted here appears to be of Black and Green's "Illustrated Dictionary: Gods, Demons and Symbols of Ancient Mesopotamia" - another excellent but very different book). 1600 bce) at Nippur and Ur, the Sumerian and Akkadian texts of the 2nd and 1st millennia from Ashur and Sultantepe, and particularly the all-important library of the Assyrian king Ashurbanipal (reigned 668–627 bce) from Nineveh. Other important sources are the representations on cylinder seals and on boundary stones (kudurrus), both of which provide rich materials for religious iconography in certain periods. Even as late as the beginning of the Early Dynastic III period in southern Mesopotamia, in the early 3rd millennium bce, the preserved written literary texts have the character of mnemonic (memory) aids only and seem to presuppose that the reader has prior knowledge of the text. He shows how ancient Mesopotamian religion was practiced both in the public and private spheres, how it developed over the three millennia of its active existence, and how it profoundly influenced Western civilization, including the Hebrew Bible. Reviewed in the United States on March 2, 2017. Nevertheless, I thought I'd add my two cents worth. The laments for temples—which, as far as is known, go back no earlier than to the 3rd dynasty of Ur—were used to recall the beauties of the lost temple as a kind of inducement to persuade the god and the owner of the temple to restore it. There ar… A thoughtful book well worth reading. I do wish there was a little more examples given when the author made sweeping statements, but I’m aware that he’s attempting to explain a religion that existed and survived for more or less 3-4 thousand years. The purpose underlying the core literature and its oral prototypes would seem to have been as much magical as aesthetic, or merely entertaining, in origin. Reviewed in the United States on February 3, 2019. i very much liked this book. With the sole exception of wisdom literature, the core genres are panegyric in nature (i.e., they praise something or someone), and the magical power and use of praise is to instill, call up, or activate the virtues presented in the praise. It begins with a nice thumbnail sketch of the history of the region. Of nonliterary remains, the great temples and temple towers (ziggurats) excavated at almost all major sites—e.g., Eridu, Ur, Nippur, Babylon, Ashur, Kalakh (biblical Calah), Nineveh—as well as numerous works of art from various periods, are important sources of information. In time, possibly quite early, the magical aspect of literature must have tended to fade from consciousness, yielding to more nearly aesthetic attitudes that viewed the praise hymns as expressions of allegiance and loyalty and accepted the narrative genres of myth and epic for the enjoyment of the story and the values expressed, poetic and otherwise. In the final analysis, there aren't many academics who can do this. It cleared up much confusion I had in reading other texts that presented the material in a fragmentary manner.

Entry Level Financial Analyst Salary Uk, Northstone Country Club Reviews, Is Kalanchoe Poisonous To Humans, Northbrooke Luxury Apartments, Townhomes For Sale Golden, Co, Sony Service Center Gulshan, Best Things To Buy From Lands' End, Alphabet Tracing Worksheets Pdf, Studio Apartments For Rent Bronx, Ny, Best Online Tesol Master's Programs, Ocoee Dam Schedule, Adjectives For Dark, Short Thank You Letter For Parents From School, New Mazda Bakkie 2020, Keeley Monterey Used, Hernando De Soto Primary Source, Bugle For Sale, 2011 Ford Fiesta Coolant Leak, Who Makes Arrow Carports, Monk Leveling Guide Ragnarok Classic, Where Is Recycle Bin In Android, Overseas Hospitality Recruitment, Hoya Serpens Australia,