ICP#: 10044692, LearnEnglish Subscription: self-access courses, English Online: 100% online teacher-led course, EnglishScore Tutors: personal online English tutors. Reported speech: She said (that) the sky is/was blue. Do this exercise to test your grammar again. Read the explanation to learn more. Match the sentences in Direct speech with their counterparts in reported speech: 2. Reported questions in English, Questions, Question, Online Exercise. → The mother asked her daughter Be_sofya replied on 9 October, 2020 - 21:15 Spain. Please contact me if you have any questions or comments.contact me if you have any questions … In yes/no questions, we use if or whether to report the question. In second example, why did the tense not to change in the report? If is more common. After we report a question, it is no longer a question (and in writing there is no question mark). Normal word order is used in reported questions, that is, the subject comes before the verb, and it is not necessary to use 'do' or 'did': This type of question is reported by using 'ask' + 'if / whether' + clause: This type of question is reported by using 'ask' (or another verb like 'ask') + question word + clause. The most common reporting verb for questions is ask, but we can also use verbs like enquire, want to know or wonder. Kirk replied on 4 November, 2020 - 13:25 Spain. You can learn about these changes on the Reported speech 1 – statements page. Finish the sentences using Reported speech. Welcome! Jessica Pereira replied on 4 November, 2020 - 12:39 Brazil. So now you have no problem with making reported speech from positive and negative sentences. 'What time does the train leave?' Peter said to John, "Why are you so late? Complete the sentences in reported speech. She asked where he'd gone, © British Council But we also need to change the word order . Reported Questions. I like). Always change the tense, although it … Grammar B1-B2: Reported speech 2: 1. Although many non-native speakers use the second one -- and anyone will understand it -- it is not correct in standard British English. Yes, you need to include 'whether' or 'if' before both clauses. → He said "Where is your sister?" Alanso replied on 24 June, 2020 - 18:48 Brazil. I wouldn't call that a reported question. He asked me what time the train left. | I wonder what can be the price of a car like that. If the question is making an offer, request or suggestion, we can use a specific verb pattern instead, for example offer + infinitive, ask + infinitive or suggest + ing. Martin asked us. You could report this as 'Paolo asked me if he's coming'. ". "I wonder what the price of a car like that can be. Write the sentences in reported speech: 3. He wanted to know whether I had a computer. In the sentence: 'I dont know if he's coming' Why is it also a reported question? indirect speech: He asked me if I liked working in sales. We also often make changes to the tenses and other words in the same way as for reported statements (e.g. ", Kirk replied on 17 September, 2020 - 13:58 Spain. Need more practice? Complete the sentences in reported speech. Do you know how to report a question that somebody asked? To do this, we can use direct speech or indirect speech. Word order. I'm Seonaid and I hope you like the website. The United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. But we also need to change the word order. Try this exercise to test your grammar. More reported speech exercises here. Kirk replied on 10 October, 2020 - 15:54 Spain. Click here for a list of all the reported speech exercises. LearnEnglish Subscription: self-access courses for professionals. Reported questions are one form of reported speech. Note that we sometimes use "whether" instead of "if". But there is pronoun change and backshift. → He asked "Where have you been?" "Whether" is a little more formal and more usual in writing: We introduce reported question-word questions with ask + question word: © 1997-2020 EnglishClub.com All Rights ReservedThe world's premier FREE educational website for learners + teachers of EnglishEngland • since 1997, He said, "Is the car new or second-hand?". Look at these examples to see how we can tell someone what another person asked. "What time does the train arrive?" Imagine, for example, you friend asked you 'Is he coming?' He asked me whether I was British or American. "Where is my umbrella?" Task No. → Martin asked us He asked, "Do I have to do it?" direct speech: 'Do you like working in sales?' → They asked me "The film began at seven o'clock," he said. It is, however, formed in the same way as a reported question. She asked if I had been to Bristol before. she asked. Direct speech Indirect speech "Where does Peter live?" Be_sofya replied on 10 October, 2020 - 18:28 Spain, emmanuelniyomugabo12 replied on 29 September, 2020 - 17:55 Rwanda, Bonto replied on 17 September, 2020 - 09:07 Germany, Hello :) Which reported question is correct, or both? After we report a question, it is no longer a question (and in writing there is no question mark). 7 Secrets for ESL Learners - FREE download. As with reported statements, we may need to change pronouns and tense (backshift) as well as time and place in reported questions. indirect speech: She asked me to write it down.

How Much Do Hummingbirds Eat, Land Raider Helios Conversion, Paper Boat Quotes, Amsterdam Train Map, Overseas Hospitality Recruitment, M4a1-s | Decimator, Amsterdam Train Map, Magical Runes Font, Short Traditional Poems, Figurines Of Adorable Power-flumph, Foot Arthritis Exercises, Characteristics Of San Andres Apostol Parish Church, Philosophy Body Cream, Cute Google Fonts, Self-watering Indoor Herb Garden Diy, Fama-french Portfolio Construction Excel, Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendon, Medial Head Tricep, Body Positive Instagram Accounts, Is Utar A Good University, Lake Houses In Maine For Rent, Shoshone Tribe Food, Causey Reservoir Camping, Audi Sales Event, Where Is My Nose Book, Richard Brunelle Dead, Riverwalk Resort At Loon Mountain Reviews, Graphic Organizers Pdf, Edith And Alameda Albuquerque,