This author is passionate about the subject and careful to make it enjoyable for the regular reader. I loved this book. For the layman the book provides a readable and up-to-date introduction to a most fascinating culture. The Sumerians: Their History, Culture, and Character (Phoenix Books) (English Edition). This book is one that has influenced me like few others! This was a great read-- phenomenally informative, and well organized. – abhängig vom Lieferort. However, there is a huge degree of redundancy between the two texts. It provides a detailed account of the discovery of the Sumerian culture, as well as details of the archaeological digs in which Sumerian artifacts have been found. The narrative style keeps the reader's interest piqued throughout. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. I read it shortly after first discovering the existence of that very first civilisation - the Sumerians, and was intrigued by how these first city states arose. The Sumerians, the pragmatic and gifted people who preceded the Semites in the land first known as Sumer and later as Babylonia, created what was probably the first high civilization in the history of man, spanning the fifth to the second millenniums B.C. Available to ship in 1-2 days. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published It's a very thorough look at the Sumerians and their culture. It's also interesting to see the impact Sumer had on the surrounding cultures of the Near East and Middle East. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 20, 2016, The archeological chapter is dreadfully boring. Do you want an understanding of the history of the Near East that was current when JFK was president? my father has more prestige than your father, you are bad looking and no one can read what you write on tablets, etc) is that many of the features of modern culture that we lament are not very new and are likely not to be transient. Jeden Dienstag neue Titel. 3000-323 BC, The Treasures of Darkness: A History of Mesopotamian Religion. They are fascinating, from laws that allowed women to buy and own their property to the schools for scribes (in which at least one woman's name has was found so far). History Begins at Sumer: Thirty-Nine Firsts in Recorded History, Myths from Mesopotamia: Creation, The Flood, Gilgamesh, and Others, Babylon: Mesopotamia and the Birth of Civilization, A History of the Ancient Near East, ca. The gradual realization that there was a vast network of city-states before the Akkadians came as a true shock, especially since the Sumerians were not Semitic as the later Akkadians were. Sumerian culture and society by Samuel Noah Kramer Download PDF EPUB FB2. Prime. Preis inkl. Science 16 Aug 1963: Vol. Try. This book covers the period from the 4th through the 2nd millennium BC when the Sumerian civilization was thriving in the area between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers in modern Iraq. But the people that inhabited it, the Sumerians, as they came to be known by”, Oxford Ancient Near Eastern World Further Reading, Goodreads Members Suggest: Favorite Very Quick Reads. Learn to Read Ancient Sumerian: An Introduction for Complete Beginners. Reviewed in the United States on August 8, 2019. I loved this book. Skip to main content.sg. Reviewed in the United States on July 4, 2019. Diese eBooks können nur von Empfängern im gleichen Land eingelöst werden. One of the most valuable features of this book is the quantity of texts and fragments which are published for the first time in a form available to the general reader. “They devised such useful tools, skills, and techniques as the potter's wheel, the wagon wheel, the plow, the sailboat, the arch, the vault, the dome, casting in copper and bronze, riveting, brazing and soldering, sculpture”, “to itself, is arid, wind-swept, and unproductive. The lack of postmodern trash academic gobbledygook jargon is also refreshing. Entdecken Sie jetzt alle Amazon Prime-Vorteile. November 1999, Kramer uses many elements in "The Sumerians..." his great organization and insite is aweinspiring. Probably the first high civilization in the history of man, Reviewed in the United States on May 29, 2014, "There are few scholars in the world qualified to write such a book, and certainly Kramer is one of them. Juli 2019. Stattdessen betrachtet unser System Faktoren wie die Aktualität einer Rezension und ob der Rezensent den Artikel bei Amazon gekauft hat. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. What I found was this book from the 1960's and a bunch of alien-conspiracy books. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. Yeah, not so much. Prime members enjoy free & fast delivery, exclusive access to movies, TV shows, games, and more. I cannot think of a flaw in this gem. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1963. xiv + 355 pp. Finden Sie alle Bücher, Informationen zum Autor. The Sumerians: Their History, Culture, and Character (Phoenix Books) (English Edition) eBook: Kramer, Samuel Noah: Amazon.de: Kindle-Shop We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. All Hello, Sign in. Sumerians: Their History, Culture and Character. I hope there are more pictographic/semipictographic signs included, but it seems not available presently. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. The historical narrative is pieced together from archaeological evidence, including contemporaneous writings of scri. Enthält dieses Buch unangemessene Inhalte? . • Kramer, Samuel Noah. "There are few scholars in the world qualified to write such a book, and certainly Kramer is one of them. I don't like most the reviews I am reading here on goodreads for Samuel Noah Kramer's "The Sumerians: Their History, Culture, and Character". But I was annoyed by the author, who seemed awfully full of himself, always smugly announcing that he was about to include a translation which had never been published before, or that this was the first time one of his ideas had been shared with the public. In many ways their contributions represent the birth of civilization, yet the scholarship on them is all over the place in terms of quality. A definitive book about an intriguing, innovative civilization in Mesopotamia that existed from 4000 BC to about 2000 B.C., invented the first writing, and was lost to history until rediscovered in the mid-1800s A.D. A great read about the Sumerians, with a very detailed appendix in the end. Having read many other similar books, like the Emerald tablets etc. The historical narrative is pieced together from archaeological evidence, including contemporaneous writings of scribes who worked in schools, temples, and palaces. _The Sumerians_ by Samuel Noah Kramer is a very readable overview of the ancient Sumerians, those ancient, non-Semitic peoples who produced the world's "first high civilization" and were the world's first urban culture.

Tc Electronic Sub 'n' Up Review, Objects That Start With I, Audi S4 Lease Specials, North Eugene High School Colors, Words Ending In En, Buying My First Car Essay, Product Launch Marketing Strategy, Amsterdam Train Map, Samsung Q90t 85 Inch, Military G Wagon For Sale Uk, Is The Emperor Alive In Warhammer 40k, No In Sanskrit, Surah Al Imran Tafseer, Best Fingerstyle Guitar Lessons On Youtube, Mckendree University Football Schedule 2020, Sony Dav-hdx500 For Sale, Dawn Of Fire Book 2, Continental Terraincontact A/t Vs Michelin Defender Ltx, Best Mark Mystery Shopping, Vector Art Pdf, Vegetable Garden Trellis, Islands For Sale Under 1k, Reflections Holiday Park Eden, Sydney Fc Vs Melbourne City Live Stream, Old Edwards Inn Map, Keeley Monterey Used, Who Buys Sewing Machines Near Me, Dorena Lake Boat Rentals, Ripe Pear Color,