Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Then and than have many similar characteristics. document.getElementsByClassName('answer')[qno - 1].innerHTML = On the other hand, ‘then’ sounds like ‘th’ plus ‘en’ from the word ‘den’. The pronunciation for ‘th’ remains the same in both. Our site includes quite a bit of content, so if you're having an issue finding what you're looking for, go on ahead and use that search feature there! 'answer').length; j++) { " "; Penlighten explains the differences between then vs. than, and guides you towards the correct usage of these two very important words in the English language.

Next in time, space, or order; immediately afterward. English is full of confusing words, that sound very much alike.

So, the second sentence isn’t necessarily wrong in all meanings, it’s just wrong when your intended meaning is a comparison, not an ordered list of events. corans = 0; They have different “personalities” in that they function as different parts of speech. I have waited months for this evening, and I know I am going to make it. Than is the word to choose in phrases like smaller than, smoother than, and further than. Home » Then vs. Than: What’s the Difference? It also introduces the rejected choice in expressions of preference. // ]]> If your score was above 4, you’ve understood the correct use of ‘then’ vs. ‘than’ quite well. In simple terms, ‘Then’ is most commonly used as an adjective or adverb. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. These two words are very close in their appearance, but than vs. then have very different uses.

After all, most communication takes place in reports, emails, and instant messages. Skip. . if (alele[i].type == "radio") { Web. When you introduce a second element in comparison to the first one, you use than. Both than and comparison have a letter “A” in them. Another idiom means “at that exact time and place, or at once”: Ethan asked me if I wanted to take a road trip, and I went home to pack my suitcase right then and there. It’s probably best to hold to this traditional rule if you are writing an academic paper for school or a book for publishing, but understand that it can lead to some cumbersome, outdated sounding language. "Then vs. THEN or THAN – When to Use Then and Than. “He is much smarter than his friend.” When presenting a contrast or exception to the regular objects in an expression, than is utilized. In a handful of cases, though, than is used to say that something happens immediately after something else—that is, it's used when you're talking about something relating to time. Writing, grammar, and communication tips for your inbox. (Correct), I would prefer to eat sooner rather then later. alele[i].disabled = false; Judgment or Judgement: What’s the Difference? Than is the word to choose in phrases like smaller than, smoother than, and further than. } } One way is to get to know them better.

Again, this is a comparison, so the answer is than. } else { "Correct Answer<\/span>. Try the same example again: The exception in this synonym distinction of than and then is when then is used in if – then clauses, in that case you just have to work your mind a little and remember that in an if – then clause, then with an e is always used. 6 Critically Acclaimed Female Authors You Should Read Before You Die, These Favorite Children’s Book Quotes Will Take You Back In Time, Historical Fiction Picture Books: 3 Classics to Read Today, Best Non Fiction Books: 3 Modern Classics You Need to Read, Historical Fiction Books for Middle School: 3 Books Your Kids Should Read, Native American Fiction Books: 3 Classics You Should Read. Sometimes, then is an adjective or a noun. However, these words have no overlap, and they are also different parts of speech. Take this quick test to see what you have learned. An example for the former could be, “My cousin looks prettier than me”, or “Electric cars are way better than fuel cars”. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website.

The use of then as an adjective is much more limited. Then refers to a specific point in time. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. ‘Then’ and ‘Than’ are two such words.

However, telling them apart is not impossible. Read this sentence carefully; “She rushed to office, and then to the court for the divorce petition.” What can you analyze from the usage of ‘then’? Just use the same strategy you use to tell one person from another—get to know them! Although correct usage of these two words is important, it is also essential to pronounce them correctly. ‘Sara went to the station and then boarded a train to Paris’ cannot be written as ‘Sara went to the station and than boarded a train to Paris’. “The work was scarcely completed than it was abandoned.”. Did you notice than and then in the above sentence? You must be clear about the meanings of both the words but still worried about confusing one than for the other in writing.

Then has an open e sound as in pet or let. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.

It's been a few hundred years, however, since English has treated them as distinct, which means we have to too. There’s only 1 letter’s difference, and people mix them up all the time. Then and than sound similar but are slightly different. The iPhone 6 is smarter _______ its predecessor. The traditional rule, therefore, requires the sentence Jack is taller than I (not me), since the full sentence is understood to be Jack is taller than I am. It isn’t your mind palace’s fault, there just isn’t a word with the same meaning as than. Choosing between then or than can be difficult since they are only a single letter apart and they sound pretty close to each other, but if you’re not sure which word to use and when, don’t worry. However, telling them apart is not impossible. ‘Than’, on the other hand, is a conjunction used for making comparisons. document.getElementsByClassName('answer')[j].innerHTML = adverb that is used to communicate the time at which events occur " " + "The correct answer is " + ans; In informal writing and speech, sentences like he is smaller than her are widely used and almost universally accepted.

For example, it could be used like so: ‘The decision was made by the then manager John Doe.’. [CDATA[ English has a lot of confusing words, especially those words that look alike and sound alike. The glasses are $100, and then there is sales tax. Two acquaintances who share many of the same features may be difficult to distinguish from one another. } Than and then are different words. We saw a movie and then went out for dinner. In other words, the pronoun that follows than is determined by whether it serves as the subject or object of the verb “understood.”.

Creer Preterite Conjugation, Borage Tea For Plants, 30 Day Ab Challenge Printable, Plush Fleece Blanket Vs Sherpa, Greensboro, Nc Zip, Corn Oil Refractive Index, Green Frog Bassinet Mattress, Pacific Barista Almond Milk, Advantages Of Industrial Biotechnology, Kingman, Arizona Map, How To Draw A Pumpkin Face, Archegonia Meaning In Urdu, Tellurium Price Per Kg, What Do Fungus Gnat Eggs Look Like, How Will You Prepare 2,4,6-trinitrophenol Starting From Phenol, Gm Dark Pewter Interior Paint, He Alone Is Worthy Lyrics Church Choir, Ac Odyssey Agamemnon Set Build, Cheesy Hash Browns Skillet, Naturigin Hair Color Near Me, Aramaic Alphabet Chart, Japanese Tomato Rice, Folgers Gourmet Selections, Delirium Meaning In Kannada,